What is happening to WDSC-TV on July 1, 2011?
On July 1, 2011 WDSC-TV will end its longstanding relationship and membership with PBS.Will WDSC-TV go off the air at that time?
No, we will not. We will continue to broadcast public television programming 24 hours a day and 7 days a week on three digital channels: 15.1, 15.2 and 15.3 until further notice. What happens to my personal membership with WDSC-TV?
If you are a current member you will remain in good standing with the station, and we encourage you to continue to support the station and our mission of public broadcasting. We still need you – now, more than ever. More information about how you can donate is detailed below.What happened to WDSC-TV’s partnership with PBS?
Due to extreme federal-and state-wide budget cuts for public television, WDSC-TV is no longer able to afford the annual dues associated with being a member station to PBS. We will however continue to create, purchase, and air programs from other public broadcasting agencies as we have done since our launch. We will also continue to receive funding from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, who contribute to our annual budget through grants. WDSC-TV has lost $307,000 in State funding this year. Will WDSC-TV ever get PBS back?
Once we electively discontinue our membership with PBS we will not be able to re-join without the aid of a partnership between WDSC-TV and other member stations in good standing. How are PBS and “public broadcasting” different?
PBS is just one of the many distributors from which public television stations can purchase TV shows. For the past 20+ years WDSC-TV has purchased 25% of its programs from PBS (annually). The other 75% were purchased from distributors such as NETA and APT – both of whom have programs already in WDSC-TV’s regular schedule.
The mission of PBS is no different than the mission of APT, NETA, and public broadcasters like WDSC-TV. Our goal will always be to educate, enrich and entertain our viewers with commercial free, safe, quality programming.Can I get a list of what shows WDSC-TV will lose/keep?
Due to budget cuts and short notice of program changes, we have suspended our printed monthly program guide to members or the general public. For the most comprehensive list of programs we will be airing, visit our homepage www.wdsctv.org
and use the interactive schedule feature. You can also check your local newspaper’s daily TV schedule, or the weekly paper schedule (usually distributed with your Sunday newspaper).
Our other digital channels 15.2 and 15.3 will also remain intact. 15.3 which broadcasts the World View feed will be expanding. Stay tuned for those details.
If you have questions about a specific program in our line-up, please don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. We appreciate your feedback.
Where can I watch WDSC-TV?
Digital TV Sets and Antennas
15-1 WDSC HD
15-2 WDSC ED*
15-3 WDSC WV*
Bright House Digital
1050 WDSC HD
459 WDSC ED
460 WDSC WV
Dish Network & Direct TV
439 WDSC HD
204 WDSC ED
205 WDSC WV
1015 WDSC HD
*ED - Daytona State College Education Channel
* WV – MhzWorldview
You can connect with us online:
Our official website www.wdsctv.org
What role does Daytona State College play in regards to WDSC-TV?
WDSC-TV is a department of Daytona State College. We provide a service to the college via educational programming, outreach, classroom support, a student training facility, and a variety of other services. Employees of WDSC-TV are employees of Daytona State College. For more information about Daytona State College, please visit www.DaytonaState.edu or call 386-506-3000.
How can I help WDSC-TV stay on the air?
There are multiple ways in which you can support WDSC-TV.
Membership – Become a member for as little as $40 for an annual donation, or go to www.wdsctv.org/pledge.html to find out more about donating, and take advantage of the many member benefits we offer, such as free tickets to local sporting events, concerts and other performances.
Sponsorship – Also referred to as “underwriting,” you can help WDSC-TV by supporting us through your business. For a variety of annual or incremental payments, your business can be featured on the air. Contact Jacqui Van Kirk for more information.
Donations – We accept donations year-round and have a variety of ways for you to donate, either as a business, group or individual.
Legacy Gifts – If you would like to support WDSC-TV through a gift at the end of your life, please contact the Daytona State College Foundation at 386-506-3110.
Who should I contact if I have more questions about all these changes?
Communications & Underwriting
Jacqui Van Kirk
Who should the media/press contact?
Jacqui Van Kirk – Communications & Underwriting